A few nights ago I decided I was going to skip dinner. I was too tired to cook anything and really didn't feel like washing a sink load of dishes. Then I remembered. I had fresh mozzarella and beef steak tomatoes in the refrigerator!
Now if you have ever made a caprese salad then you know, there is no cooking involved. Just two of the freshest ingredients you can find, some olive oil and a knife.
Immediately hunger found its way into my belly. Putting this together took less than 10 minutes. The mozzarella already came sliced so all I had to do was slice up the tomatoes, plate it, salt it, then drizzle with olive oil. Like all Italian dishes, caprese is from the region called Campania, it seems to me though that this dish should represent all of Italy with its colors representing the Italian flag, but that's just me and my crazy analysis. This salad was very filling and healthy! If you decide to make this, remember you must have FRESH mozzarella! It's just not the same without it!
Ingredients Serves 4
- 2 lbs fresh mozzarella cheese (they come in smaller packages as well)
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Black pepper
- If cheese doesn't come sliced, slice about 1/4 inch thick, until all cheese has been sliced.
- Slice tomatoes the same size
- Place once slice of tomato then cheese and continue to layer.
- I didn't have basil on hand, but it really gives this salad a great flavor so just stick a few leaves of basil in between each piece of cheese and tomato.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper
- Drizzle with olive oil
- You can also drizzle balsamic vinegar if you have it on hand :)