We can thank the fast food dine-in chains such as Applebee's or Chili's for making this dip so popular. The first time I had this dip was when I was in college at St. John's University in Queens, NY. There was an Applebee's nearby and I remember always ordering this dip to share with friends. Its creamy, decadent and amazing with pita bread. I always wondered what gave this dip its tangy taste, and realized later that it is the parmesan cheese that is mixed in. If you want this dip to taste superb then I recommend spending a few extra dollars and getting some REAL parmesan cheese, not the store brand stuff in the package, we need real, imported cheese from Italy here! If it's one thing I've learned over the years from cooking, its that you should always use the best ingredients available to you, it makes a world of a difference to the end result.
That being said, this is yet another dip that your guests will LOVE. I am having around 6 people over for a small Superbowl party, but if you plan to have more 8 guests, I recommend doubling this recipe. Enjoy!
Here are the main ingredients you will need to prepare the dip
Strain the spinach and use a spoon to help press out any excess water, it makes a big difference, we don't want soggy dip, we want creamy dip :)
You will need about 15oz of artichoke hearts, I like to use the ones in a jar instead of the can.
Chop artichokes to about the same size as the spinach
Pour cheese into a mixing bowl, add spinach, chopped artichokes, and garlic, toss with your hand
In a separate bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, mayo,
a few dashes of black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix thoroughly
Add spinach mixture to the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
Cover with foil and pour into a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and bake again for 15 minutes.
Don't you want to just stick your face in there? Well you'd probably burn your face, but still, I wish you could smell this dip, the aroma is killing me! Somebody pass me a tortilla chip...Quick!
Spinach Artichoke Dip
(serves 6-8 people)
- 1 10oz package of frozen chopped spinach
- 15oz artichoke hearts (I used two 7.5oz jars)
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Couple of dashes of cayenne pepper and black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thaw spinach and drain excess liquid, use a spoon to help press out extra liquid.
- In a mixing bowl, add cheese, spinach, chopped artichokes, and garlic, set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, blend, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream together. Add black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Add spinach mixture to cream cheese mixture and mix really well.
- Pour into a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil then bake again uncovered for 15 minutes or until top get golden around the edges.
- Serve hot with pita bread slices or tortilla chips.